- A female alpaca is called a hembra.
- A male alpaca is called a macho.
- A baby alpaca is called a cria.
- Gestation length for an alpaca is 335 days (11 months).
- The lifespan of an Alpaca is 20 years.
- There are 2 breeds of Alpaca, Suri and Huacaya.
- Alpaca stand approximately 3 feet tall at the shoulder and weigh 100 to 150 pounds.
- The primary function of alpaca is fiber production. Alpaca fiber is very valuable. The fiber is lanolin-free and very soft.
- There are 22 internationally recognized colors of alpaca fiber.
- Alpacas should be shorn once a year.